Brick Paver Designs for Patio
Hundreds of years ago people began to use stone for the construction of roads, which in the twentieth century was almost universally replaced by asphalt and concrete but paving tiles, which are, in fact, a modern version of paving stones, and at this moment is extremely popular for landscaping. Successfully chosen layout of paving tiles can transform the yard, street, and garden, and is one of the most powerful tools to create a landscape design.
Choosing the type of paving
Depending on the material, a distinction is made:
- Paving stone – small size products of natural rocks, characterized by strength and durability. It is used in places of high load on the pavement: near garages, in places of vehicular traffic.
- Paving slabs are made of concrete, polymers and other artificial components. Its cost depends on the thickness of the products, which may be different. Used for paving pedestrian paths.
- Paving tiles under the paving stone – artificial material, by its properties close to natural stone.
The laying patterns – a wide range of variations
The most common tile combinations include products of two colors, sometimes four. This is quite enough to give areas and paths a very picturesque and original look.
The most popular patterns of laying paving tiles:
- Square scheme – the arrangement of paving elements relative to each other in rows;
- Checkerboard layout – location of the middle of the tiles over the junction of the elements of the previous row;
- Paving by herringbone – laying the products at an angle of 45 or 90 degrees;
- Braiding – a variation of herringbone, resembling interlacing, which is achieved by alternating the transverse and longitudinal paving;
- Chaotic pattern – an arrangement of paving stones or tiles of different sizes and colors in random order, creating an interesting effect if they are successfully selected, looking especially original when choosing the form of “hexagon”;
- Circular pattern – a radial pattern of wedge-shaped elements;
- Continuous pattern – laying tiles with some offset of each next row;
With any scheme, paving diagonally helps to reduce noise from traffic. Striving for intricate paving patterns is not always advisable – the simpler the pattern, the easier it is to perform it qualitatively. Options for paving and other types of paving should be chosen according to the overall concept and style of design of the main building – the surrounding area should be a logical continuation of it.
Variety of types of modern tiles for paving
There are simple and shaped paving elements. The first option allows you to create both laconic and extremely intricate compositions. When laying shaped tiles, certain special skills are required, as an error in the execution of the work can ruin the entire effect of the surface.
In many respects the scheme of laying paving depends on the color and shape of the products used:
- “Brick” is the simplest and most versatile configuration of elements, easy to work with;
- “Wave”, as a rule, is used for paving quite large areas, has excellent drainage properties;
- “Coil” has a unique self-tightening effect – when used on different soils of different types of laying tiles do not diverge;
- “Clover” differs in intricate form and, accordingly, the process of doing her paving more complicated, but the result of its use is unsurpassed;
- “Rhombus”, having flat straight edges, provides the tightest possible fit of the elements, which is important to improve the performance of the pavement in areas of heavy traffic;
- “Old Town” includes tiles in a set of 4 different sizes, which allows, using the laying in a chaotic pattern, to simulate an ancient road surface.
In addition to these forms of tiles, they can be more complex (“double T”, “daisy”, “trapezoid” and others), and you can order or make your own paving elements of absolutely any, the most intricate, configurations.
Different shapes of elements, such as “square” and “violet”, as well as different schemes of paving require different consumption of material. This must be taken into account when calculating the consumption of tiles before purchase.